NOTE: This feature is only available with Little Math Pro.
Little Math allows you to fully customize how your Numbers Presets play back, from the icons used to represent quantity, to the sound sets that enunciate the numbers as each slide appears on screen.
To edit your Numbers Preset settings, open Little Math and go to the Play & Edit screen.
Click on Numbers and select the preset you want to customize.
Click on the Settings button at the right side of the screen to open the Numbers Lesson Settings window, where you can configure your preset and playback settings as necessary.
In the Numbers Lesson Settings window, go to the Lesson tab and you will find the following options that you may adjust as necessary:
- Type – If you want your preset to show a specific set of numbers during playback, choose the "Numbers" mode. Otherwise, if you want your preset to show your own list of pre-set numbers during playback, choose the "Custom" mode instead.
TIP: The Custom mode will allow you to teach specific number groups or sequences such as skip counting, prime numbers, or even multiplication tables!
- Number Range (available in "Numbers" mode only) – The Number Range dictates the possible range of numbers that will be flashed on screen during playback. To adjust the range values, you can move the sliders, click on the up or down arrow buttons, or type in a value in the text box for the "From" and "To" fields.
- Add New Number (available in "Custom" mode only) – To add a number to your custom preset, simply click on Add new number (at the top of the left-hand box) OR click on the Add button (in the lower left part of the window).
In the text box that appears, type in the number you want to add and click on the green check button to save it, or click on the Remove button to cancel. You may keep doing this until you have added all the numbers that you want to include in your preset.
- Number of Displays – This determines how many number slides are flashed on screen for every playback (maximum is 100).
- Order – This dictates the order in which the numbers in your preset are flashed during playback.
Sounds & Display Settings
In the Numbers Lesson Settings window, go to the Sounds & Display tab and you will find the following options that you may adjust as necessary:
- Display – Each Numbers Preset may display up to three individual representations of a number in any order: "Icon," "Numeral," and "Word." To change the Display type, click on the dropdown menu and select from Icon, Numeral, and Word. To add another display type, click on the Add button and choose which Display type you would like to show.
- Display Settings - In this section, you can further customize the settings for the numbers. The settings will vary depending on which Display type you have selected. To show advanced settings, click on the Show more button.
- Sound – Choose which Sound Set will be played along with the slides. You may choose to use an individual Sound Set or a Sound Group for your lesson. If you choose a Sound Group, you can further choose to play a specific Sound Set for the whole presentation or a random Sound Set from the Sound Group for each each slide/playback.
- Icon (available for “Icon” Display type only) - Choose which Icon Set will be played along with the slides. You may choose to use an individual Icon Set or an Icon Group for your lesson. If you choose an Icon Group, you can further choose to play a specific Icon Set for the whole presentation or an Icon Set from the Icon Group for each slide/playback.
- Word (available for “Word” Display type only) – Choose which Word Set will be played along with the slides. You may choose to use an individual Word Set or a Word Group for your lesson. If you choose a Word Group, you can further choose to play a specific Word Set for the whole presentation or a random Word Set from the Word Group for each slide/playback.
- Size (available for “Icon” Display type only) - You can choose how big or small the icons will be displayed on screen, or choose to show icons in a size that best fits your screen (Variable) or show icons in different sizes during playback.
- Shape Color (available for “Icon” Display type only) – If you select the "Basic Shapes" Icon Set, you can choose to make Little Math display the icons in different colors or only in the color set by you during playback.
- Icon Placement (available for “Icon” Display type only) – Little Math can display icons in a "Random" arrangement, but if you feel your child finds it difficult to determine quantities when icons are randomly arranged, you may choose to use the "Grid" arrangement instead (this often works better for older children). With the "Grid" option you can further specify a Column Count and Alignment for how the icons will be displayed in each slide.
- Background Color – You can choose to make Little Math display slides with a specific or a random background color. Note that this setting will be applied to all three types of displays (Icon, Word, and Numeral).
- Font Color (Not available for “Icon” Display type) – Choose what color the text will be during playback by clicking the colored square or you can check the Random box to automatically assign random font colors to each number.
- Font (Not available for “Icon” Display type) – Select from 4 fonts (Arial, Times New Roman, Comic Sans MS, or Tahoma) or a random font in which text will be displayed during playback.
- Font Size (Not available for “Icon” Display type) – Specify how large words and numerals will be displayed during playback.
Name - Type in a name for your Numbers Preset in the Name field located at the top-right corner of the settings window.
Auto-Forward - Enabling the Auto-Forward setting (green light) at the bottom-left corner of the settings window allows you to playback presentations continuously, without needing to click a mouse button or press the spacebar to proceed to the next slide. Click on the cogwheel button next to the option allows you to further customize the settings.
- Auto-Forward - You can change how much longer Little Math will wait after the end of the current slides' completion before playing back the next slide.
- Delay between equations - You can also set how fast numerals are flashed during continuous playback by adjusting the Delay between equations bar.
- Subtitles - Enabling the Subtitles setting (green light) places small subtitles during playback for the current slide, and/or a preview of the next slide that will be played back. To adjust the font size of your subtitles, click the cogwheel button next to the CURRENT and NEXT buttons. This will pop up a small window where you can select a font size and preview how small or large the text would appear on screen during playback.
Once you're done customizing your Numbers Lesson Settings, click on Save (at the bottom of the Numbers Lesson Settings window), and your settings will be applied the next time you play your Numbers Preset!