Here's how to get your computer specs:
- Turn on the computer. Find the My Computer icon on the computer's desktop or access it from the Start menu.
- Right-click the My Computer icon. From the menu, choose Properties down at the bottom. A window will come up which will provide some specs. The General tab should be selected.
- Examine the operating system. At the top of the window, find System. The system section tells you what operating system is installed, including the version of the operating system.
- Look at the Computer section at the bottom of the window. Here you'll find what processor the computer has installed and how much memory the computer has. The processor's name will be listed, followed by the speed, usually measured in gigahertz. Next you'll see how much memory the computer has, measured in megabytes or gigabytes.
- Note the hard drive space. To determine the amount of hard drive space, double-click on the My Computer icon and then right-click on the hard drive icon.
- Choose Properties from the menu to see the specs. In the window which pops up, look for Capacity. Note how many gigabytes of hard drive space the computer has. Below, you will see a graph that reveals how much space is used and how much remains free.