Starting from Little Reader v3.2.1390, Little Math v2.3.730 and Little Musician v1.4.800, you can choose where you want to store BrillKids software’s database and media library (i.e., data path). This is useful for those who do not have enough space in their C:\ drive, where all BrillKids software data is located by default, especially those who own several Little Reader curricula.
Just follow the instructions below to change your BrillKids software's data path (same instructions apply for Little Reader, Little Math and Little Musician):
1. Download settings.txt to your Desktop.
2. Make sure you have installed Little Reader v3.2.1390, Little Math v2.3.730 and Little Musician v1.4.800 or above. To check the current version of the BrillKids software installed on your computer, first go to the Tools screen and click on the Software Information tab, then you will see the current version of your software shown under the Software Information section.
3. Close your BrillKids software then open My Computer and put the "settings.txt" file inside C:\Program Files\BrillKids\Little Reader (or the Little Math or Little Musician folder).
4. Restart your BrillKids software then go to the Tools screen and click on the Additional Settings tab on the left side of the screen.
5. In the Custom System Settings option, click on the CHANGE… button and choose the folder where you want to move your software's database and media library into.
6. Your BrillKids software needs to restart itself to apply the data path change. Click OK to restart your software.
During the path change process, a backup of your current database and media library will be saved before finally moving them to the new path.
7. After restarting your BrillKids software, you will be asked if you want to delete that backup - you may want to choose “Ask Later”, so you can check your lessons in case something is missing.
1. The new data path has to have enough space for your database and media library. It can be an external hard drive, but you have to make sure that external drive is connected when you use your BrillKids software. In case the path you select doesn't have enough space, you will see a warning and you will be asked to select a different path.
2. External hard drive users: Make sure you set your external hard drive to a specific drive letter (e.g., Z, Y, or X) BEFORE changing the data path in your BrillKids software to maintain a "constant path" to the drive you want to move your software data to. This is because whenever you disconnect and reconnect your external hard drive (or when you reboot your computer), Windows may not assign the same drive letter to your external hard drive(s).
To set your external hard drive's drive letter:
- From Start, right-click on Computer (or My Computer) and select "Manage." This will open a new window named "Computer Management".
- From the left-hand menu, under "Storage," click on Disk Management.
- Right-click on the external hard disk drive you intend to use for your Little Reader data and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
- In the "Change Drive Letter and Paths" window, select the drive letter currently assigned to your external hard drive and click on the Change... button.
- In the smaller window that opens, click on the dropdown option beside "Assign the following drive letter" and select the drive letter you want to use (e.g., Z, Y, X or any of the last few letters in the alphabet).
- Click OK in the small window and in the "Change Drive Letter and Paths" window to finalize the change.
3. When doing a Repair of your BrillKids software with the option "Replace current Word Library with default Word Library" selected, the repair process will restore the data path back to the default path ("C:\ProgramData\BrillKids" in Windows Vista/7/8 or "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\BrillKids" in Windows XP).