Some sections of your daily Little Musician lessons include video slides (e.g., all "Knowledge" lessons on instruments) which show a cartoon animated video. If the video is frozen or it appears as a blank/white screen during lesson playback, there may be a missing codec or conflicting codecs in your computer.
Please try these as an initial solution:
1. Update your Little Musician software and/or curriculum.
- If you did not customize or make your own lessons (or you are using Little Musician LITE), you can simply download and run the new installer from your BrillKids account.
- If you customized or made your own lessons, export your personal lessons before updating your software (click here for complete instructions).
2. Install Windows updates. We also recommend that you enable automatic updates for your computer.
- Windows XP:
- Installing Service Pack 3 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3
- Setting up automatic updates - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-xp/help/setup/set-up-automatic-updates
- Windows Vista - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off#turn-automatic-updating-on-off=windows-vista
- Windows 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off#turn-automatic-updating-on-off=windows-7
- Windows 8 & 8.1 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off#turn-automatic-updating-on-off=windows-8
- Windows 10:
- Go to Start > Settings > Update & Security
- Under "Windows Update," click on the "Check for updates" button
- If there are updates available, choose to install those updates
3. Install the K-Lite Codec Pack.
- Click here to download the K-Lite Codec Pack (file is 49.3MB).
- Once the download is finished, open the file and double click on the installer (*.exe).
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation. You can skip the "Select Components" or "Select Additional Tasks" screens (leave the options as is).
*NOTE: You don't need to install anything from the "Additional Software Offers" screen.
- After installing the K-Lite Codec Pack, go back to your Little Musician and check if the videos now play correctly.
4. Install or reinstall the latest video driver(s) from your computer manufacturer's website.
- Go to your computer manufacturer's website or support website and do a search for your exact computer model.
**Alternatively you can search for your computer model directly from your browser's search box (e.g., type in "ASUS Eee PC 1225C support," "HP Pavilion G6-2235us driver," etc.)
- Once you find the product or support page for your computer, find the "downloads" or "drivers" section in the page, then download the video driver installer(s) for your computer. When asked if you want to "Open / Run" or "Save" the file(s), please choose to save the file(s).
- Open the driver installer by double-clicking on the file, then follow the instructions in the installation wizard. If you have 2 or more drivers, run the driver installers one at a time.
- If you are asked to restart your computer, restart it then check your Little Musician to confirm if the problem was resolved.
If the videos still don't work after trying all suggestions above, please create a diagnostic report and send it to us. Click here for instructions.
**NOTE: As of Little Musician v1.6.860 (released Jan. 26, 2016), all videos in the BrillKids curriculum pack were replaced with MP4-format videos. Flash (SWF) videos are no longer included in the lessons.