Little Musician's Resources screen is actually a built-in Internet Explorer browser, and any updates that Microsoft releases for Internet Explorer will apply to the Resources screen too. In one of the Internet Explorer updates from the latter half of 2017, playback support for embedded flash videos (video format used for most YouTube videos) was discontinued, and this is why you cannot play the videos in Little Musician's Resources screen anymore.
Fixing this issue would require major programming changes in Little Musician, and unfortunately, we are unable to provide an exact timeline on when this software update would be available. We apologize for the inconvenience.
As a temporary solution, we recommend opening the Resources web (HTML) files through your Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge browser instead of using them through Little Musician. We have also prepared updated Resources files where we fixed many broken YouTube links (e.g., videos that were deleted by the person who posted them).
Please follow these instructions:
PART A: Updating the Resources files
- Download the following file:
- English (547KB) - http://d2ohm1zpbx4in2.cloudfront.net/softwares/updates/little-musician-resources/Resources_us_/en.zip
- Spanish (552KB) - http://d2ohm1zpbx4in2.cloudfront.net/softwares/updates/little-musician-resources/Resources_us_/es.zip
- Simplified Chinese (568KB) - http://d2ohm1zpbx4in2.cloudfront.net/softwares/updates/little-musician-resources/Resources_us_/zh-CHS.zip
- Traditional Chinese (568KB) - http://d2ohm1zpbx4in2.cloudfront.net/softwares/updates/little-musician-resources/Resources_us_/zh-CHT.zip
- Open "This PC" (depending on your OS, this may be labeled "Computer" or "My Computer"). Open your C: drive then navigate to this folder: C:\ProgramData\BrillKids\System\Little Musician\Web\Resources.
- If you can't find the "ProgramData" folder in your C: drive, go to the window's "View" menu and in the "Show/Hide" section, check the "Hidden items" option.
- Open the "en.zip" file that you downloaded, then drag-and-drop the enclosed "en" folder into your "C:\ProgramData\...\Resources" folder. When asked if you want to "Replace or Skip" files, choose "Replace" (or "Overwrite") and wait for the file transfer to finish.
PART B: Playing Resources videos outside Little Musician
- Open "This PC" and navigate to this folder: C:\ProgramData\BrillKids\System\Little Musician\Web\Resources\en\daily-lessons.
- For quick access later, you can create a shortcut to this folder by right-clicking on the "daily-lessons" folder and choosing "Create shortcut" from the context menu. After that, you can move the shortcut icon to your Desktop.
- If you are currently doing Semester 1, open the "en01" subfolder. If you're already in Semester 2, open the "en02" subfolder instead. Inside the subfolder, you will find several HTML files which are labeled to match each day of your Music Curriculum.
- Find the HTML file for the "Day" you are in, then double-click on the file to open it in your web browser (e.g., if you are in Semester 1, Day 25, open the file named "25.html"). You may then play the videos through your browser.
- NOTE: We recommend Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge. You can still use Internet Explorer if you like, but each video will open as separate YouTube pages in a new browser tab.
If you want to use the other Resources sections like "Instruments," "Composers," "Popular Classics" or "Other Child Videos," you will find the corresponding subfolder with HTML files in C:\ProgramData\BrillKids\System\Little Musician\Web\Resources\en (e.g., if you want to play the "Instruments" videos, open the "instruments" subfolder and find the HTML file for violin, viola, cello, etc.).