BEFORE THE UPDATE:
Make a backup of all of your customized lessons (including those which you have downloaded which are not included in the curriculum) into Category files. To learn to do this, watch this tutorial.
- If you are upgrading from Little Reader 1.6 or 2.0 or any older version, use the Export function
ONLY EXPORT CUSTOMIZED FILES, not the whole curriculum, otherwise, you might not be able to use the new curriculum properly because of word-merging issues.
Save the backup file(s) in a folder other than the BrillKids folder in your computer.
You can easily restore your downloads and customized files by using this backup file after you've updated your Little Reader software.
- Updating to Little Reader 3 (from 2.0 or older versions)
- Installing non-major Little Reader updates (e.g., updating from v3.3.1440 to v3.3.1500)
1. Uninstall your current Little Reader COMPLETELY by choosing to "remove all preset settings and/or all media files" in the uninstall wizard. Click here to learn how to uninstall a program.
Note: Make sure to delete all preset settings and/or all media files.
2. After uninstalling, sign in to your BrillKids account and go to Account Management > Little Reader Software.
3. Click on the DOWNLOAD LITTLE READER button to get installer file for the latest Little Reader software version. When prompted, choose to SAVE the installer.
4. After downloading finishes, double-click on the zip file.
5. Drag the ".exe" file to your Desktop.
6. Double click on the file to start the installation.
7. After installing, go to Account Management > Curriculum & License Key.
8. Click on your license key on this page to begin importing your key and your content.
9. A message will pop up, asking you to open the link with Little Reader. Click on Allow (Internet Explorer), OK (Firefox) or Launch Application (Chrome).
10. When asked "Do you want to regenerate the course immediately after importing?" click on YES.
NOTE: If you get the message "License Key Already Exists", just ignore the error message. It may mean that your license key is already in your PC.
[Optional] After installing, you may want to import the customized and downloaded files you backed up previously. Double click on your saved Category files to import them.
There are two ways you can do this: via the upgrade alert or by downloading from your BrillKids Account:
A. Using the upgrade alert
1. Connect to the Internet and launch Little Reader, and it will automatically check for updates.
2. If a new version is available, a window will pop up and prompt you to download the new version of Little Reader. Click on Yes, and then Little Reader will download the new installer for you and will proceed with upgrading your installation
NOTE: If the update prompt doesn't appear, you may just update Little Reader manually (see next section).
B. Updating manually
1. Connect to the Internet and launch Little Reader.
2. Go to Tools, then click on Software Information on the left.
The current version you have installed will be displayed in the "Software Information" panel (encircled in red above).
3. In the "BrillKids Account" tab, sign in to your account and the newest version of Little Reader will be displayed in the Software Download section of the panel (encircled in black below). If the current version number of your Little Reader is lower than the newest version of Little Reader, click on the Download button to get the installer for the new version.
When asked if you want to "Open / Run" or "Save" the file, choose to Save the file.
4. Once the download is done, close Little Reader and open the *.zip file you've just downloaded. Double-click on the "Little_Reader_X.X_install.exe" file inside to start installing.
5. The InstallShield Wizard will automatically detect that you have an old version of Little Reader installed and it will proceed with the upgrade process. Follow the prompts to finish upgrading your software.
If you are encountering problems while upgrading via the methods above, you may simply visit your BrillKids Account using your browser, and download the new installer for Little Reader manually.